When things go wrong in Daylite we can help

So, you’ve imported data into Daylite, but there was an error in the CSV file which results in each email address allocated to the wrong contact name… disaster! What do you do?This happened to a client of ours. They had collected data at a trade show to use for marketing purposes, and collated it into one spreadsheet. They then imported the data into Daylite, but hadn’t noticed that  the column of email addresses had accidentally been shifted up one row. The email addresses therefore did not match the rest of the contact information in each row and so, when imported into Daylite, the email addresses were allocated to the incorrect contacts. This import contained several hundred contacts – some of which were already in the database, so overwrote the previous information. This error was noticed a week after the import, so if they rolled their database back to how it was before the import, they would have lost a week’s worth of data. They came to us for help and we had a better solution. We worked with them to correct the data and produced a script to correctly match each contact with their correct details. With some creative thinking, we managed to avert disaster, and no data was lost. If you experience any problems with Daylite or your data, contact us – we can...

Schoolboy errors and a solution

Daylite has some really powerful importing tools. One feature is a field called ‘Source Input ID’ that can be used to link objects together, such as linking a contact to an organisation. This acts as a unique identifier so, for example, will automatically link Mr John Smith with Smith’s Business Ltd. Without this, you’d have to link objects in the database together manually, which could be very time consuming and impractical. We have a client who has offices around the world. We visited their UK office in December and imported all their data through the ‘Now Contact’ importer that uses this Source Input ID to link contacts and organisations – all good so far… Today, we went to add their European offices data to the database. We needed to merge two Now Contact databases into one Daylite database. We used the the built in importer again, giving us a total of around 100,000 contacts. However, when we arrived at the clients’ office to deliver a training session, we checked the data with the client and… OH DEAR! Schoolboy error! Data from the other offices and separate Now Contact files used the same Source Input IDs as the UK database – so all the data was mixed and things were linked to the wrong place!  People in Paris had London phone numbers and addresses, wrong roles, etc. In short, it was a mess! Luckily, we have backups and can work to put the data right but, if you are about to do this – please STOP! Make sure the unique identifiers in the Source Input ID are different or else...